Saturday, June 7, 2008

Power Tour Day 0.... getting there is half the battle!

Well the adventure began today! At 4 am I got up and finished loading everything up in the Caprice. After working on her the past few days she was ready to go.

I went and picked my father up and we headed out at 5 am. Leaving Chicago was quite interesting with fog and the sun just coming up. We hopped up to I-57 and headed south west. I didn't get much sleep the night before so I took a quick nap en route.

After an hour it got bad. The rain started coming down hard, the windshield wipers could barely keep up. We went from cruising at 75 mph down to 40 mph. that lasted for about half an hour until we drove through it.

We needed gas and so we pulled into a gas station off of I-57. It was almost completely under water. There were a few stalls still open and not under water. So we pulled into the good stall. Of course a semi had to drive next to our stall and send a nice wave right at up. We quickly moved out of the way and continued on our way.

Not much happened after that. We ran into a few Power Tour participants en route. Some joined out little caravan, others we just passed by.

The car had no problems. It was nice cruising without the air on until about 2 pm when the humidity became a real killer. So the windows were closed and the air came on, and no problems.

Once we got onto I-55 there was nothing much going on. We pulled over and had lunch somewhere on I-55.

It was nice drive, but I was thankful to get it over with. 10 hours straight was enough for me. We pulled in with a group of about a dozen cars and made our way into the fair grounds.

Made our way into the fair grounds and checked in at the hot rod trailer. After you sign in you go and park the car anywhere in the show area. We actually ran into a group of friends from Chicago that had left even earlier then us.

We all parked together and began hitting up the different vendors and getting free schwag. We I get to the GM Performance booth and I lose my pass to get free stuff.

At least Linda Vaughn was there.

The weather was HOT. We were sweating all over the place and I was without sunscreen. I really regret it now.

The park started closing up around 5:30 pm so my father and I made our way to the hotel where we just crashed (figuratively). And here I sit completely wiped out and barely able to move. But I'm ready for another day!

power tour day 0 071

power tour day 0 074

power tour day 0 081

power tour day 0 084

power tour day 0 086

power tour day 0 088

power tour day 0 089

power tour day 0 091

power tour day 0 092

power tour day 0 093

power tour day 0 094

power tour day 0 095

power tour day 0 097

power tour day 0 108

power tour day 0 111

power tour day 0 112

power tour day 0 114

power tour day 0 116

power tour day 0 118

power tour day 0 119

power tour day 0 122

power tour day 0 124

power tour day 0 127

power tour day 0 132

power tour day 0 134

power tour day 0 140

power tour day 0 141

power tour day 0 144

power tour day 0 145

power tour day 0 146

power tour day 0 147

power tour day 0 150

power tour day 0 152

Here's the link to ALL of the Day 0 pictures.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/sets/72157605494646885/

Ryan

No comments: